Friday, July 19, 2019

Back in Bahrain...

Back in Bahrain!  It has been just over a decade since I was last here, but it feels pretty familiar... sort of like going back to your college campus...   I was able to find my way around with little problem.  I even recreated my original Bahrain 'mix tape' (playlist) of about a dozen songs that I used to listen to when I was here the first time and listen to it as I plod to and from the base every day in the 100 degree heat.

Ok - so work travel has me spoiled.  I have done the JFK to Dubai Emirates flight several times for work - always in business class.  This time,  I got to experience that flight in economy class... instead of private little enclave with a reclining seat, I was in an aisle seat and next to me was a man and his one (or sometimes two) young daughters.  The latter shared the middle seat for much of the flight and one was sleeping with her head on my armrest.  It wasn't actually that bad - have done plenty of long ass flights in economy before - just hard when you know how nice it is in the upper deck.  Nor did Emirates impress me much this time - they managed to leave my big suitcase in Dubai and it caught up with me 36 hours later.  Fortunately, I packed essentials in my carry on, so was really just a nuisance.

Crammed in the back on an Emirates A380.


Well, just over two weeks in, this mob feels a lot different than last time.  Frankly, it feels like an ordinary business trip to the region.  I have been doing so much solo travel between the Navy and work that this feels like more of the same.  And unlike last time, I know what I will be doing and where, and when I arrived at the HQ this time, it almost felt like I hadn't left (except that I am a decade older and all of the people are different...).  Plus, I know this is my last hurrah with the Navy, so am in some ways savoring it - having been involved with the Navy in some fashion since the fall of 1984, it is going to be strange without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment