Saturday, July 13, 2019

A lower key, more individual process this time.

Week one back in the Navy is pretty much done.  Wrapped up in Norfolk yesterday and flew down to Tampa on Saturday, and am chilling in a pretty nice hotel finishing room service.  Just a bit different from last time.

The week in Norfolk was as expected - if your preparations were good, the week is pretty cake. The first two days were essentially full days, but the last three were 2-3 hours MAX.  The process is 'lowest common denominator' oriented, and I think I said that a decade ago as well.  Have been pondering ways to fix it, but no brilliant ideas yet.

But the process has been much less 'military' than last time - more like a business trip.  When I flew to Gulfport a decade ago for step one, there was a Navy bus waiting to pick a bunch of us up, and it took us to base.  This time, I arrived in Norfolk International, grabbed a rental car, and drove to the Navy Lodge.  And today, instead of an Army bus picking me and 30 of my friends up and dropping us off at an Army post, I got a rental car at Tampa Intl and drove to my nice hotel.  It is much nicer than the open bay barracks at Fort Jackson.

Indeed, my only issue is baggage.  I am dragging 3 large, 50# suitcases along with a small carry on suitcase and a stuffed backpack.  Trying to manage 4 suitcases alone has been a challenge, but I planned for it and a few bungee cords has made it bearable.  I was dreading Tampa because it is a long haul from baggage claim to the rental car - but at least there is no bus - and the train was manageable.


No comments:

Post a Comment