Thursday, September 5, 2019

What would you say you do here....

The question is from the Bobs (from the movie Office Space - You Tube makes it easier to make obscure movie references...).  But, it made me think - I said I am deployed and have thrown some jargon, but haven't really explained...  and though Tom Symkowski explains it pretty well, I will offer some insight.  (note - naughty language in the clip).


So, I work for NAVCENT / 5th Fleet in Bahrain - or Naval Forces US Central Command - they are the Navy command in the region.  Now, strangely enough most of the command structure for this region is in the US, starting with the Combatant Commander and most of the components (Army, Marines, Special Forces, and Air Force).  US Central Command HQ is in Tampa, FL, and the other components - with the exception of the Navy - are also in the US.  Only the Navy is local.  Now, all of the other have 'forward HQs' in the area, but they are just small outposts compared to the big HQs back home in the Eastern Time Zone.  (more on that later...)

One of NAVCENT's missions is to partner with Navy and Coast Guards in the region, so in addition to the big HQ staff, they have people like me sprinkled in embassies and bases in the region.  The HQ plans exercises, training events, etc and they pass those wishes on to me, and I go meet with the local Navy and Coast Guard forces and make it happen.  Also, I drink a lot of tea / coffee with my hosts, make small talk (yeah.. imagine that.) and work details.  That is some of it.  Then, I also am a meeting organizer, logistician, letter writer, and whatever else needs to be done.  Those ships that visited?  I made sure that we had the necessary support people here, briefed the ship on Qatar when they arrived, worked to get them access to the big airbase, and helped chase down parts and mail that was flown in to the airbase.   Lots of little details.  And then I will go ride some patrols with the Qatari ships - just to see what they do, what training they could use, etc etc.  Just like Tom...

Now, some quirks with such a role. First, in this part of the world, the work week is Sunday - Thursday.  NAVCENT also works that schedule, but all of the US-based HQs work the US work week.  Now, add in that we are +7 hours from Tampa, so by the time our work day is wrapping up, the home office crew has just processed their morning coffee and their good idea fairies are hard at work...

Then there are the locals.  They wake up early for the first of five daily prayers well before sunrise (which is around 5am) and then are busy through noon prayer.  Then, in general, they go home, spend time with family, nap, get up for sunset and nightfall prayers, have a (for us) late dinner and work some more, then go to bed.  So... the mornings are busy with Qatari interaction, then a quasi lull until the good idea fairies in Tampa get to work, then another spike in work when the Qataris check their phones in the evening.  Thankfully, I have a work phone with e-mail, so it is not an issue.   Another quirk is the use of WhatsApp - a phone app that combines chat and the ability to place voice calls.  The Qataris don't really use e-mail - when I communicate, I send faxes and then send snapshots of the letter via WhatsApp.  My first couple of weeks I texted more in a day than I normally do in a month.  Now, I am used to it and appreciate it.   Plus, the voice calls use WiFi, so I can call home for free.

Finally, a few pics.  A lot of what I do / places I go do not allow pictures, and the Qataris have a lot of rules about pictures... taking pics of government buildings or mosques is not allowed, for example.  So, I am hesitant to pull out my phone and snap a picture. 

Yeah! Clouds!  (really have not seen them much since getting here)  But, they just were a reflection of the wicked humidity during a morning run.

Fox SkyBox lounge at Al Udeid Air Base   Link 1   Link 2

National Museum of Qatar  - my picture does not do the incredible architecture justice.  The inside had excellent displays combined with huge video screens throughout - an immersive experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment