Thursday, March 11, 2010

The home stretch

It is hard to believe, but my time in Yemen (and on this mobilization) is starting to wind down.  After almost a year of being away from the family, it is difficult to imagine returning to my life.  Yet, the time is drawing close.  Still a longer period than all but a couple of separations, but in the context of this one, is starting to be short.  Off to Bahrain and the Navy HQ this week to ‘check out’, and then I will bring my replacement to Yemen for a couple of weeks of turnover, then off I go – back to the US!  Yes, I have to spend a week in Gulfport, but that should not be too bad.

DSCN0944 The Q-tip box is starting to look pretty empty!

Have been keeping busy – guests from Bahrain, trips to visit Yemen Navy and Coast Guard bases….  Was down in the city of Mukalla earlier in the week -  a nice seaside town.  Well, it was a nice town, but it has fallen on hard times and has that stale, run down feel.  Hotels should be booming, but instead are vacant.  The whole town feels like a ghost town.  It is too bad, since it is a nice place.  Aden feels the same way, though at least Aden has hints of life to it – last time I was there a cruise ship had pulled in and there were busloads of Euro tourists on the beach of the hotel.  Not so in Mukalla.

DSCN0911 Holiday Inn, Mukalla.  Alas, though at the peak of the tourist season, the place was pretty much deserted.

DSCN0908Beach view at the other nice beachfront hotel – again, deserted.  Not exactly a good sand beach, but great for boating, fishing, and snorkeling – and it has a nice pool.

DSCN0928

Old gatehouse in Mukalla – was in a ‘park’ and had spotlights to illuminate it at night, but hard times have led to the lights falling into disrepair and the house itself is slowly falling apart

And as I have been reflecting on this time ending, am starting to realize that though being away from home and family sucks, I really enjoy my job here.  I am pretty much autonomous – Bahrain does not really pay attention to what I do, I have a lot of freedom of action to do what I think is right to build our relations with the Navy and Coast Guard of Yemen, and I get to be a diplomat.  I was at the Japanese First Minister’s house this week for a sushi dinner, and there were people from UK, France, Japan, China, Germany, the EU..  In a month, back to the corporate world, with lots and lots of oversight and processes, quality improvement programs, and all of the the other mundane crap that I have been able to avoid the last year.

DSCN0895 Things I will NOT miss – Yemeni cabs, and the ubiquitous ‘Dshka truck’

DSCN0896

Things I will NOT miss II – dudes with BIG wads of qat in their cheek  driving a motorcycle, yellow and black curbs, barbed wire, and concrete barriers

DSCN0888

Things I will NOT miss III – beggars.  Though this one is cute – and I foolishly give a buck now and then.  Alas, they camp out at the same intersections every day, and if you give once….

No comments:

Post a Comment