Thursday, January 28, 2010

Reflections on the last 365

First, not a lot to talk about in Yemen – business as usual.  Haiti has rightfully knocked Yemen out of the news, and things are “normal” here.  Not a lot to say about the job – sort of like the movie ‘Groundhog day’, actually.  Only interesting bit is it rained earlier this week – pretty hard – and Sana’a is not set up for lots of rain – no storm sewers or anything.  So, the streets become little rivers, with the rain washing away the accumulated dust, dirt, grime, and trash – most notably plastic baggies (qat is bought EVERY day – has to be fresh – and is sold in one-person portions in plastic baggies, and most of them end up in the street!).  Though the roads were a bit slick, the normally psycho drivers were more cautious and sane than usual, and the rain kept the beggars off of the street corners, which was pleasant.

DSCN0800Typical street front in Sana’a, with a few puddles from rain the night before.  Usual sidewalk, creative parking, and metal shutters on some of the closed shops. 

One question that might come to mind – the Prez says we will not put troops in Yemen, yet here I am.  Simple clarification – he means combat troops – I am most definitely not that.  Instead, my mission is to represent my HQ here with the Yemen Coast Guard and Navy, and to assist in equipping and training them.  That is all.

DSCN0814

Breakfast at Yemen Coast Guard HQ – great food and hospitality

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel now.  First, crossed the 300 day point a few days ago – less than 80 to go.  Still not an inconsiderable time – longer than all but two of my navy deployments – but relatively it is pretty short.  I have written my end of tour evaluation (aka fitness report in Navy speak) and my end of tour award (you write your own…) which is a good thing.  I also have my plane ticket out of Yemen – it is to Gulfport, MS, not home, since I have to go and demobilize – but it is another concrete reminder.  And, instead of taking the military charter from Bahrain, am on United / Lufthansa flights – in business class no less.  Going home in style!

But, has been a long an interesting 365 days since I received the call that fateful January day.  In one week, my replacement starts the process at Gulfport, which is yet another step in the process.  As I swap notes with him, it makes me think back to what I was going through just over 10 months ago.  Frankly, am glad NOT to be there….

0128090833-00 Where I was a year ago on Jan 28th… ok, I don’t miss that!

DSCN0795

The view a year later – never would have imagined this!

So, at 8:04 local on Friday night here in Sana’a, I am going to enjoy a nice glass of Johnny Walker and reflect back on that fateful day last January – remember the feelings of the phone call, the dread, telling the wife, telling the children at dinner that night – their questions (a whole year?) – and the realization of all we would miss together for that year plus.  The two months of counting down, leaving home, and all of the stuff I have done since – all things that I would never have imagined 365+1 days ago.  But, besides the being away, it has been a great experience.  And, of course, tomorrow also marks the end of month TEN away, two 1/2 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment