Friday, November 15, 2019

Back in Iraq (not now, but for my day job)


If you read the blog from my last mob, one of my Iraq stops was Balad Airbase.  Well, I actually ended up back in Iraq - several times - for my day job.  Mildly ironic story - after we destroyed the Iraqi military, US contractors ended up selling them a lot of new military equipment.  In my case, Iraq bought F-16 fighter jets powered by my company's engine, and I ended up the program manager for the Iraq program.  So... I ended up traveling back to Balad as a civilian - several times - most recently in March 2019.

It was weird flying back to Baghdad - this time in an Emirates airliner.  Traveling through Baghdad is almost like flying to any other city... but there are quirks.  For one, their customs and immigration process is a bit primitive - but then again one can say that about JFK!  Secondly, there are no nearby airport hotels,  but there is the Al Burhan complex which is on the airport campus.  It is like a Motel 6... but it is a self contained campus so there is a gym, an outdoor pool area, a dining facility, and even a convenience store.  It is home for contractors supporting the airlines and a few other businesses.

Rooms at Al Burhan.  A lot like a Motel 6.

Al Burhan Center - a hotel on the campus of Baghdad International Airport.  Big building is dining hall.

Being back on Balad was also surreal.  Now, living conditions were better - all of the US contractors get private, wet CHUs (see earlier posts..) - no sharing porcelain with 40 of your friends, or walking outside to get to the facility if you have to take care of business.  But the same DFAC (chow hall) is still there, and the base looks the same.  US contractors can't drive on base and have to be driven by well armed private security guards once you are out of the living or working areas - basically when you eat or go to / from work.  The guards tend to be South African mercenaries, essentially - soldiers of fortune who use this duty as 'down time' before the go back and do 'tactical stuff'.  One of them reminded me of 'Thor' - a big beefy guy with long hair and an accent... but I didn't get a picture for my wife...

I enjoyed working with the Iraqis, though they have their quirks... Last time I was there in March 2019, they gave me a big box of fresh Iraqi dates which were really good.  Unfortunately, I could not bring them back to the US, but I did donate what was left to my friends in the Royal Jordanian Air Force.  (I stopped in Amman after leaving Baghdad)

Living compound for contractors on Balad Airbase, with protective walls


Meeting with the Iraqi Air Force




Old aircraft hangars at Baghdad International - bombed during Desert Storm
Step 1 for check in at Baghdad Int'l - dogs inspect the bags.  And that is assuming you can get to the airport ... security is pretty tight.
Inside Baghdad International
Ahh, flying out of Dubai on the Emirates A380....

Flying out of Baghdad is also a bit different.  First, access to the airport is tightly controlled.  I had to leave the airport area to meet at the Iraqi Air Force HQ, and getting back on to the airport was a bit of an issue.  Then, there are multiple screenings - starting with a dog check of the bags, then a scanner to get in the building, then 3 more scans to finally get to the gate.   And, every scan is different - toiletries are always an issue - some pass them, but some confiscate them.   But, besides that, flying Emirates or Royal Jordanian is much much nicer than sitting in the back of a C-130

1 comment:

  1. I find this all to be very interesting. The wedding info and pictures of where and how one lives or survives is quite impressive.

    ReplyDelete