Friday, April 2, 2010

I’m outta here!

Down to the last day in Yemen – or zero and a wakeup in mil speak.  The Q tip box is down to one, and I am done with work.  Am now adjusting my sleep schedule to align with the US, so it is after 4am now and I am down to less that 24 hours.  (and am hearing my last morning prayer call…gonna be strange now NOT hearing them!) It would be fair to say I am getting excited – hard to believe that the end of my time in the Middle East is here.

The last week has been a good finish.   Thought I have liked many aspects of my job, there are many that I am eager to leave.  This week has been an excellent reminder of both.  In some ways, it is hard to leave now that I have a lot of projects on the road to completion, but… I think the family deserves a bit of time as well.  And, I feel comfortable turning it over to my replacement, so it is not like the US Navy is abandoning the Yemenis.   And finally, am tired of the Army, CENTCOM, and other factors which add aggravation for no good reason.  It is time to go.

For my last post from Yemen, a collection of random photos from the last couple of weeks.  I am going to finish packing, chat with the wife, get some sleep, then head to the airport!  Alas, not home, but at least I will be in the US and it should be less than a week ‘til I am home for good.

DSCN0891 My wheels for my last three months – a Toyota Land Cruiser GXR V6.  A VERY nice ride…though no armor – just a Hertz rental

DSCN0982

Drinking tea with the Chairman of the Yemen Coast Guard, and his aide / my good friend Amen after they hosted a good bye lunch for me. These guys work really hard to make things work despite budget cuts and other issues… though they get labeled as ‘spies’ since they work well with the US and UK.

DSC02140

Picture with Kohei, the First Minister at the Japanese Embassy, at Yemen Coast Guard HQ.  He is another good friend who I will miss.  Oh, and his wife makes KILLER sushi.

DSCN0967

One last shopping trip to the old city and ‘Ali Baba’s’.  Lots of jewelery, but will miss NOT cheeks full of qat… nor the green funk in the teeth when they talk with you!

DSCN0984

Driving home in the rain during my last week, streets are flooded again since there is no storm sewer system here.

DSCN0971

At the ‘Bab el Yemen’ (Gate of Yemen) – the entrance to Old Sana’a – with my friend and shopping guide, Mohammed.  This was my last trip into Old Sana’a – like the land time forgot – a functioning market and it has been a settlement for over 2500 years!

DSCN0714

Aden harbor – the USS Cole was moored at the ‘buoys’ on the right side of the picture.  The bombing led to the formation of the Yemen Coast Guard in 2002, and eventually to my duty here.

0321101802-00

Entering the US Embassy compound at sunset recently… (just the wall and part of garage visible) – but seems sort of symbolic for my last post from Yemen.

No comments:

Post a Comment