Monday, February 9, 2009

Disclaimers, Top 5, and Movie Pick

Disclaimer: I received a couple of questions about security - i.e. am I saying anything that I should not. I don't think so - going to NAVCENT is a common destination for Navy types, and am not going to mention my final home until I get there, nor will I get into the details of my travel or anything operational. This blog is more to share the overall experience for those who will not have to experience it.

Good Afghanistan Article


Top 5 Deployment Song List: ( I loved the movie High Fidelity, though John Cusack sort of went into the tank a bit later on - Must Love Dogs? Even Lloyd Dobler would puke...). In honor of that, my top 5 list of deployment songs:

Still thinking, but:

Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers - I didn't really discover this one until my second deployment, about 2 months in to a 4 month run -but it really resonated with a Navy deployment.

Babe - Styx. Yeah, just a bit cheezy - still recall it playing about every 5 minutes on WLS in Chicago (before they became talk radio) back in the 80s. But the light bulb went on while driving around with girlfriend the night before I headed out for my first Navy cruise - a 2 month sub deployment after freshman year in college.

More to follow...

Movie Pick - not sure if I will watch this before I go, but will definately hit Netflix when I get back. The Best Years of Our Lives (1946) - did not see this one until a few years back. It is a bit schmaltzy as well, but in a nutshell, it tells story of three WWII vets returning to their home town after the war after having been gone for years. The story focuses on their readjustments to their lives. I would not call it a 'chick flick', and though it lacks the staples of modern movies (violence, sex, maybe drugs) it is a great movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment